It takes more than a language to unify a nation

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 27 15:49:04 UTC 2007

Following up the entanglements of the law and the Constitution, was
"United States" in "All persons born or naturalized in the United
States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" interpreted (in some
Supreme Court case) to apply to Puerto Rico, which is not a
state?  And these persons are "citizens ... of the State wherein they
reside," which cannot apply to Puerto Rico.

Note that this says "and", so it does not independently confer
citizenship on those who are only "subject to the jurisdiction thereof".

Joel