"Knock off its horns and wipe its ass" (Texan ordering steak "rare")

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Jan 1 13:35:15 UTC 2007

It's an interesting anthropological question: Does a preference for undercooked flesh correlate with rugged rurality or with Manhattanistical sophistication?  Is it, perhaps, an artifact of Northeastern preppies trying to affect what they suppose to be manly Texanicity--like Bush's idiolect?

(I myself had never heard of eating "rare" steak until I left Texas in my early 20's and moved to Los Angeles.)

--Charlie