The mistaken 1909 "jazz" attestation in OED; was: "Please don't shoot the organist; he's doing his best" (1882)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 1 13:52:06 UTC 2007

It hasn't been possible to update HDAS II, in which the error made its appearance.

  JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: Re: The mistaken 1909 "jazz" attestation in OED; was: "Please

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:

> I'm away from my papers but can provide a general response about the
> 1909 "jazz" in OED. The presentation of this attestation is a flat-out
> error and has been recognized as such at OED at least by Jesse
> Scheidlower. The attestation was submitted by Peter Tamony (to whose

The nine-years-too-early error in the date of first use for "movie" in OED
and HDAS has still not been acknowledged by those dictionaries.

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press
Yale Law School ISBN 0300107986
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com
http://mail.yahoo.com