not a new euphemism, but new to me

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 2 00:16:11 UTC 2007

TV insurance ads have been talking about "final expenses" for many years now - maybe fifteen or more. You need to watch more tube.

  JL

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: not a new euphemism, but new to me

Just got a card from the Social Security Administration touting their
"Senior Final Expense Program" option. In a subsequent sentence,
they do clarify that it's for funeral expenses. (Gee, and I was
thinking they were just going to give me a free ride after that final
expense.)
So between the "senior" and the "final" they're covering their bases.
But this has obviously been around for quite a while, and there are
34,700 google hits for "final expense" + Social Security.
I should tell my seniors complaining about their finals that things
could be worse...

LH

http://mail.yahoo.com