"Hep" vs. "Hip"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 2 00:27:31 UTC 2007

Thanks, Ben.

  Nevertheless, I've been hearing it a very great deal over the past two or three years.

  JL
Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
Subject: Re: "Hep" vs. "Hip"

On 1/1/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Wilson, are you 99.44% sure about "How ADJ is that?"
>
> It's become very prominent over the past few years (esp.in "How cool is that?"),
> but I can't say that I noticed it any earlier.

We discussed this formation back in February, when I brought up an
occurrence in Jim Bouton's _Ball Four_ (1970):

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0602c&L=ads-l&P=16140

I later posted about it in Language Log, noting Wilson's Army
remembrances ca. 1959:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002989.html

--Ben Zimmer

http://mail.yahoo.com