LSSU Banished Words list, 2007

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 2 03:48:17 UTC 2007

Ron, I agree with you that the banning of words and the use of other
forms of censorship should not be allowed. Yes, I'm even against the
asinine suggestion that "nigger" should be eliminated from the
language. I cried myself to sleep when the replacement of physical
"sex" by grammatical "gender" was instituted. But, dude, you have to
admit that "go missing" does bite the stylistic big one. Here, I have
to go along with my fellow Texan. Give a brother a break, man, and let
"go missing" go missing!

-Wilson, with tongue only partially in cheek

On 1/1/07, RonButters at aol.com <RonButters at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       RonButters at AOL.COM
> Subject:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:=20=A0=20=A0=20=A0=20[ADS-L]=20LSSU=20Banished?
>               = =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=20Words=20list,=202007?=
>
> In a message dated 12/31/06 8:33:37 PM, bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU writes:
>

> > GONE/WENT MISSING -- "It makes 'missing' sound like a place you can
> > visit, such as the Poconos. Is the person missing, or not? She went
> > there but maybe she came back. 'Is
> > missing' or 'was missing' would serve us better." -- Robin Dennis,
> > Flower Mound, Texas.
> >
> Then CRAZY is also a place one can visit? But don;t most people say "Go TO
> the Poconos"?
>
> It is sooo weird what people will object to, and what sort of strained loogic
> they will come up with to try to demonstrate the infelicty of a construction
> they have never heard of.
> I think this is just a UK-ism that has been around for quite a while.

-----
-Sam'l Clemens