"difference" = difficulty; issues; busghetti

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 2 16:57:34 UTC 2007

At 8:45 AM -0800 1/2/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>The likelihood is that many such metatheses, as well as other
>important changes, really do reflect the accumulated pressure of
>childhood errors, essentially randomly distributed, that finally
>reach some sort of tipping point at which they are widely repeated
>and perpetuated.
>
>   JL

I willingly grant that language change typically involves errors (or
reanalyses, to be more descriptively correct...) made by children,
given both the limits on accessible information in particular
contexts of occurrence (cf. "bead", "horn") and constraints on the
vocal tract (a.k.a. markedness considerations), but my point was just
to challenge the idea that we want to attribute them to "learning
differences".

LH