Just wondering

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Jan 2 21:49:41 UTC 2007

My oldest relatives from Western KY and Southern IL always had
'handbag' or 'pocketbook' for what women carried and 'purse' for what
I now call a billfold (whether carried in a man's pocket or a woman's
handbag/pocketbook). The unmarked form for them, however, was purse
=- man's wallet

dInIs, remembering when he noticed at a very young age that
pocketbooks were not carried in pockets - stupid language!

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: Just wondering
>
>As fate would have it, I'm quite familiar with the use of "(hand)bag"
>in place of "purse" and / or "pocketbook." Had I been more alert, I
>would have included all three terms in my question.
>
>-Wilson
>
>On 1/2/07, Lynne Murphy <m.l.murphy at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:
>>-----------------------
>>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>  Poster:       Lynne Murphy <m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK>
>>  Subject:      Re: Just wondering

>>  I discussed BrE and AmE sense of 'purse' and '(hand)bag' (and someone
>>  brings up 'pocketbook' on my blog in Sept.(Self-promotion is an ugly
>>  thing.)  Since then my 12-year-old goddaughter and her mother have informed
>>  me that 'only old ladies say 'purse', we say 'bag').  They live in the
>>  Rochester, NY area.  They're also prone to unsubstantiatable claims about
>>  their own language usage and I heard my cousin from Indiana call her bag a
>>  'purse' today, but I mention their claim anyway...
>>
>>  Lynne
>>
>>  --On Monday, January 1, 2007 1:22 pm -0600 Victoria Neufeldt
>>  <v.neufeldt at SASKTEL.NET> wrote:
>>
>>  > I lived in the U.S. for about 16 years (1984-2000), in Cleveland and in
>>  > Springfield, MA; I remember being struck by the use of _pocketbook_ for
>>  > what I would call a handbag or purse.  In my experience in the U.S.,
>>  > _pocketbook_ and _purse_ were synonymous.  _Pocketbook_ (an Americanism
>>  > in this usage) seemed the standard term, far more common than _purse_.  I
>>  > don't recall a distinction in usage based on age (i.e., I wasn't aware
>>  > that _pocketbook_ was considered old-fashioned).  I think of _purse_ as
>>  > being somewhat old-fashioned in Canada (haven't done any research on this
>>  > though); my own general term is _handbag_ and that's probably the more
>>  > common term in Canada as a whole.  _Pocketbook_ for me is restricted to
>>  > its extended meaning of financial resources.  I agree with Wilson that
>>  > _purse_ means _handbag_; if I want to refer to a small container for
>>  > money, etc. that you carry in your pocket or purse/handbag, I would say
>  > > _change purse_, never just _purse_.
>  > >
>  > > Victoria
>  > >
>  > > Victoria Neufeldt
>  > > Editor, DSNA Newsletter
>  > > 727 9th Street East
>  > > Saskatoon, Sask.
>  > > S7H 0M6
>  > > Canada
>  > > Tel: (306) 955-8910
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man [sic]
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. - Alfred
North Whitehead

There are many different religions in this world, but if you look at
them carefully, you'll see that they all have one thing in common:
They were invented by a giant, superintelligent slug named Dennis. -
Homer Simpson

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English