a gentlelady's maiden speech

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 4 19:46:25 UTC 2007

Rep. John Boehner introduced the new Speaker of the House as "the gentlelady from California."  (Not "gentle lady.")

  So "gentlewoman" (OED a1230) is out and "gentlelady" (not in OED) is in. Why ?  Is "woman" (exactly parallel to "man") too - I dunno - "cavalier" ?

  More Moebius-style PC laffs: Fox's Brett Hume announced that the Rep. Pelosi was about to give "her  - um - maiden speech."

  It sounded like a genuine moment of uncertainty for him.   Is it sexist for a news anchor to refer to a gentlelady's "maiden" speech ?  Is it - I dunno - laughable ? Demeaning ? Invidious ?

  Hume decided rightly that it was OK.

  But he *did* say "maiden." And you know what that means. Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh....

  JL

http://mail.yahoo.com