Richard A. Spears

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 4 22:23:43 UTC 2007

No, it's weirder than that, Jon. For some reason, /E/ becomes [^]
before /S/ as well as before "j" as in "Jack." E.g., "flesh" becomes
"flush," "mesh" becomes "mush," etc.
OTOH, "sludge" becomes "slurge," "flush" becomes "flursh,", "mush"
becomes "mursh." These can be mixed in a single person's idiolect. My
mother says "sledge," but also says "jurdge" (judge).

Also, BE pretty much lacks "zh"  as in "Jacques," having only "dzh" as
in "Jack." I noticed that some people said "garazh" and "roozh," but I
was in my 40's before I realized that "zh" was not a sound foreign to
English and that people were saying "zh" on purpose and not because
they were just naturally stupid or had some speech defect that kept
them from saying "garadzh" and "roodzh."

-Wilson

On 1/4/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Richard A. Spears
>
> "Sludge hammer," eh ?
>
>   I have a white friend who, when faced with the possibility of professional disaster, occasionally says, "I'm just waiting for the 500-pound shit hammer to come down." I first heard him say it about 1984.
>
>   I now find thousands of raw Googlits for "shit hammer," of variable specified poundage.
>
>   He's from the South. Blacks live in the South. So "sludge hammer" could have suggested "shit hammer."
>
>   A new folk etymology - with a Google twist !
>
>   JL
>
> Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

-----
-Sam'l Clemens