Penmanship [Was: Illinois bans male pronoun]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jan 4 23:23:01 UTC 2007

My dumb!  It's been so long since anyone composed any literary
efforts with a pen that I took "penmanship" figuratively.

(Although a look at OED2 shows that that sense, "2. The action, or
style, of penning, i.e. wording or composing, a document; literary
composition", goes back to 1795.)

Joel