Cigar Sayings

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 5 15:31:27 UTC 2007

1. Close, But No Cigar

Is anyone able to supply earlier citations for "close but no cigar" than
the 1935 example (from the movie "Annie Oakley") given by HDAS?

Can anyone refer me to any dictionaries, books, articles, or websites that
have any kind of discussion of the derivation of this expression?

2. Other Cigar Sayings

I would be interested in suggestions of other quotations, sayings or
phrases related to cigars.  I know, of course, about the Freud quote, the
Groucho Marx line about taking his cigar out of his mouth once in a while,
the Kipling quote, the Mark Twain quote about smoking only one cigar at a
time, and the quote, supposedly originated by Thomas Marshall, about a
good 5 cent cigar.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986