Cigar sayings

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Jan 10 03:18:26 UTC 2007

   For an article on "close but no cigar" see my item (with thanks to the Peter Tamony collection on Americansims): "Close But No Cigar", in Studies in Slang, Part 2, (edited: Gerald Leonard Cohen), 1989, Frankfurt a.M.: Peter Lang,  pp. 100-102.

     And yes, the expression does derive from the carnival game called the "Highball" or "Hi-Striker" whereby a lever is hit with a sledge hammer in an attempt to ring the bell at the top.  The prize was a cigar, and if the puck-like object only came close, it was "close but no cigar."

Gerald Cohen

        <snip>