For/To all intents and purposes

Wed Jan 10 09:21:08 UTC 2007

I sent in a dictionary correction for this item and was told that the
expression is "to all intents and purposes". The citation given me as
evidence is
http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Is_the_saying_%27all_intents_and_purposes%27_or_%27all_intense_purposes%27.

To me, "for" sounds much better" and I don't see a reason to cite one or
the other as being correct (and Google gives over a million hits for each).

Another point in my favor is the citation actually claims "to" is
correct" but then gives "for" in its example.

Most of the citation:
-----
The correct phrase is "TO all intents and purposes" which dates back to
the 1500s and originated in English law, where it was to all intents,
constructions, and purposes. The phrase is generally used to compare two
unlike acts or deeds, i.e., "She went to his room and drank with him,
which he viewed - for all intents and purposes - as consent to sex."

 From being misheard and repeated, people also say "FOR all intents and
purposes" but that is a product of the original phrase being misheard
and repeated.
-----

Can anyone provide guidance here?

Benjamin Barrett