Palindrome: "MOM" but not "DAD"

Wed Jan 10 18:03:50 UTC 2007

	james copeland asked

>What, pray, is the word for palindromes which, when held up to a mirror,
>spell the same, as MOM, TIT, TOOT, etc?

	Charles Doyle answered:

>I have heard (maybe used) the phrase "mirror palindrome," but I don't know
>that it's a standard term.

These are a class of ambigram. Wikipedia says
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambigram):

 An ambigram, also sometimes known as an inversion, is a graphical figure
that spells out a word not only in its form as presented, but also in
another direction or orientation. Douglas R. Hofstadter describes an
ambigram as a "calligraphic design that manages to squeeze two different
readings into the selfsame set of curves." The first published reference to
the term was by Hofstadter, who attributes the origin of the word to a
friend. The 1999 edition of Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach features a 3-D
ambigram on the cover.
 <<<

In the ontology on that page, these words are mirror ambigrams.

My initials, in upper case, are a mirror ambigram, MAM, and my sister's,
WSM, are a rotational ambigram at 180 degrees. (Our mother was an art
teacher, and our names long antedate Hofstadter's publications.)

m a m