"Bet the Farm"

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 10 22:52:48 UTC 2007

BET THE FARM--252,000 Google hits
BET THE RANCH--44,000 Google hits
I gotta look into "bet the ranch." Any help appreciated (I'm now in the Dominican Republic with still mroe family matters).

-----Original Message-----
From: fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:00 AM
Subject: "Bet the Farm"

In a Supreme Court opinion yesterday, Justice Scalia used the expression
"bet the farm." A journalist is asking me about this phrase. Can anyone
point me to any good information, or even give a hunch, as to the
derivation of this expression?

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
  Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press
Yale Law School ISBN 0300107986
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com