national handwriting day

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 12 16:02:30 UTC 2007

Although I understand your pain, I (someone who once learned cursive) find
cursive to be unnecessary. Printing works just as well, it just isn't as
"fancy" or "pretty." But that's just my controversial take on the matter.

Scot

>From: FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: national handwriting day
>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:54:19 -0800

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
>Subject:      Re: national handwriting day
>
>Most of my high school students CANNOT write cursive.  If they must
>handwrite something, it's nearly always in print because "printing is
>faster than cursive."  Well, I guess if you never write cursive,
>printing is faster than cursive. Many of those students who print write
>in all caps, just making smaller versions for lower case.  Now, I don't
>think civilisation is coming to an end, but there is one bad result of
>students not being familiar with cursive--many, many of my students
>cannot READ cursive either.  If I write a note or comment on a paper, I
>might as well be writing in Hebrew, cuz they can't read it.  When I
>first heard of this from another teacher shortly after I landed at
>Sprague High School, I didn't believe it, but I now believe.  The
>problem is that a whole bunch of stuff is now inaccessible to them.  I'm
>not even talking about not being able to read a facsimile of the Dec. of
>Ind., but many things are still in cursive.  A whole world is shut off
>to them. Even the textbook I use has cursive. A few years ago  I figured
>I'd give my students some practice so they could read the passages in
>the textbook. So, I had my students write cursive in their workbooks.
>Good idea?  Hell, no.  I almost had a revolution on my hands.  You
>thought I was trying to get rid of school sports.  The dumbest part of
>this undertaking was the mother who accused me of failing her lazy brat
>for 'not being able to write cursive.'
>Fritz J

>Cursive handwriting may be dieing out.  Only 15% of college
>applications are
>in cursive.
>

>Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL4+
>See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.
>

> >From: Dennis Baron <debaron at UIUC.EDU>
> >To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> >Subject: national handwriting day
> >Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:51:34 -0600
> >
> >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >-----------------------
> >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >Poster:       Dennis Baron <debaron at UIUC.EDU>
> >Subject:      national handwriting day
> >
> >It's time to celebrate National Handwriting Day, and you can read all
>=20=
> >
> >about it on
> >the Web of Language:
> >
> >"January 23 is National Handwriting Day.  WIMA, the Writing Implement
>=20=

> [...]

Communicate instantly! Use your Hotmail address to sign into Windows Live
Messenger now. http://get.live.com/messenger/overview