national handwriting day

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Fri Jan 12 16:50:58 UTC 2007

>>> spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM 1/12/2007 8:02 AM >>>
Although I understand your pain, I (someone who once learned cursive)
find
cursive to be unnecessary. Printing works just as well, it just isn't
as
"fancy" or "pretty." But that's just my controversial take on the
matter.

Scot

I guess I put this in the same category with teenagers not knowing how
to tie their shoes or tell time on a traditional clock.  These things
just seem like common knowledge to me, but they're not.  I had a girl
only a few weeks ago when we were learning time just sit and look at me
when I asked her the time.  She couldn't say anything.  She's bright and
I had done a good job of teaching the concept. Finally, she just blurted
out that she couldn't tell time on a traditional clock.  Since she
couldn't do it in English, she wasn't able to do it in German.  I really
wonder what these kids think about and how they deal with the world
around them.  I guess they just ignore a lot of things.
Fritz

> >From: Dennis Baron <debaron at UIUC.EDU>
> >To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> >Subject: national handwriting day
> >Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:51:34 -0600
> >
> >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >-----------------------
> >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >Poster:       Dennis Baron <debaron at UIUC.EDU>
> >Subject:      national handwriting day

> >It's time to celebrate National Handwriting Day, and you can read
all
>=20=
> >
> >about it on
> >the Web of Language:
> >
> >"January 23 is National Handwriting Day.  WIMA, the Writing
Implement
>=20=
> >
> >Manufacturers Association, which has sponsored the event for thirty
>=20
> >years, wants you to take a break from =93the rigorous world of =20
> >electronic communication=94 and write =93a good, old-fashioned
letter,
>=20=
> >
> >complete with your penned signature,=94 just like John Hancock.  In
>=20
> >fact WIMA picked Jan. 23 for National Handwriting Day to coincide
=20
> >with Hancock=92s birthday.  Actually John Hancock, author of the
=20
> >largest and most famous American signature, was born not on Jan. 23
>=20
> >but on Jan. 12.  But that's not the point.  ... "  find out what
the
>=20
> >point is, and lots more about National Handwriting Day. at
> >
> >the Web of Language
> >

> >Dennis Baron
> >Professor of English and Linguistics
> >Department of English
> >University of Illinois
> >608 S. Wright St.
> >Urbana, IL 61801
> >
> >office: 217-244-0568
> >fax: 217-333-4321
> >
> >www.uiuc.edu/goto/debaron
> >
> >read the Web of Language:
> >www.uiuc.edu/goto/weboflanguage

>Your Hotmail address already works to sign into Windows Live
Messenger!
>Get
>it now
>http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

Communicate instantly! Use your Hotmail address to sign into Windows
Live
Messenger now. http://get.live.com/messenger/overview