Smashed potatoes . . .

Chris F Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Fri Jan 12 17:47:21 UTC 2007

Charles Doyle wrote:
> Does "smashed" in general denote a lesser degree of (s)mashedness than "mashed"?

Apparently it depends. Googling for recipes, I find a number of them
where the "smashed" appears only in the title, probably to add some
refinement and a sense of the extraordinary to dishes that otherwise
call for mashing ("[...]*MASH* potatoes with back of spoon or potato
masher. Add cream cheese and milk; mix until well blended, leaving some
potato pieces in chunks.[...]"
<http://www.kraftfoods.com/Recipes/SaladsSideDishes/PotatoSideDishes/GarlicSmashedPotatoes.html>).

This recipe, however, smashes them pretty thoroughly:

====

   1. Preheat oven to 250°C.
   2. Don't peel the potatoes but bring them to the boil in a pot of
      salted water.
   3. Boil until tender.
   4. Drain and transfer to a lightly greased baking tray.
   5. Use a potato masher to squash each potato flat, until it is twice
      its orginal diameter.
   6. Brush the tops of the potatoes with oil and scatter with your
      choice of seeds and fresh herbs, salt and pepper.
   7. Bake the potatoes for 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden.

<http://www.recipezaar.com/123403>
====

Chris Waigl