national handwriting day

David Borowitz borowitz at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Jan 12 20:17:39 UTC 2007

Sorry if that sounded too much like a personal attack.
The following quote can be interpreted in several ways, I suppose, but
sounded a bit critical to me:
"I really wonder what these kids think about and how they deal with the
world around them.  I guess they just ignore a lot of things."
I guess I mistook real curiosity on your part for sarcasm--such are the
perils of email. It seems likely at this point that I'm being overly
defensive of my generation and lashing out mostly at people who make far
more sweeping and critical statements than you did. (For what it's worth,
I'm a college student who can read an analog clock, tie my shoes, and write
in cursive. My only problem with cursive is that I take Russian, so
sometimes my cursive comes out in Cyrillic even when I don't mean it to :)

Good point about online banking, of course. Identity theft is no fun for
anyone, nor are late fees, and so on. But some of the risk inherent in these
complex technological systems can be ameliorated with education, such as by
learning how to identify potential phishing sites. Probably we both need to
do some research, but I'd guess that a large portion of identity thefts that
result from online banking (as opposed to, say, dumpster diving) are from
people willingly giving away their account information to someone who is not
their bank. Also, good computer hygiene (i.e. Firefox) can drastically cut
down on malware ("the second you click on that first webpage, you've got a
virus"), etc.