"issues", "concerns", etc.

Fri Jan 12 20:38:07 UTC 2007

Stanford Daily, 1/10/07, p. 1:

Students will no longer have an excuse for showing up to class in a
post-workout sweat, thanks to plans for expanding the Ford Center
with lockers and showers for those using the Arrillaga Recreational
Center...

The decision to expand was partly influenced by complaints about the
lack of facilities at Arrilaga.

"I don't like to use the word 'complaints;' [punctuation as in
original] I prefer 'concerns,'" said Eric Stein, associate athletic
director for physical education, recreation and wellness.  "But there
was a concern to want to provide recreational lockers and showers for
people using the recreational center."

Stein also said that concerns about the locker and shower facilities
came more from faculty and staff rather than students, but he did not
have any exact numbers.

"We don't really have any estimates on how many people have
complained," he said.

-----

yes, they built a rec center without lockers or showers, and that
wasn't by accident; the benefactor insisted on it.

note the shift from "concerns" back to "complained".

arnold, who heard *lots* of complaints from grad students and faculty