"school" phrases (formerly "kippie")

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sat Jan 13 14:57:06 UTC 2007

Any impending triumph was preceded by "School's out" mongst us
nonteacher families and types as well, certainly not limited to
cards. I even used it as an in-your-face exclamation when I went up
for a sure jump shot, directed at my defender.

Ah! 50's trash-talkin'.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
>Subject:      "school" phrases (formerly "kippie")
>
>Are others familiar with a ritual exclamation of an individual upon
>his triumphing in a card game like rummy: "School's out"?  My
>parents followed that custom in the 1950s; however, they were
>teachers, so maybe they invented the practice.
>
>--Charlie

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English