back-"formate" (was: deigned; lorded; incoming)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 14 15:19:43 UTC 2007

At 8:46 AM -0500 1/14/07, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>On 1/13/07, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
>>Google yields a lot of "formate"s, but they seem to be either
>>typos/misspellings of "format" (noun or verb) or a noun referring to
>>some sort of chemical thingy--or else a zero, not Salisbury's
>>back-formed verb meaning essentially 'to use multiple formations'.
>
>Looks like former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel was a fan of
>(back-)formating:

This is a great find.  As noted last night, Salisbury claimed that
Saints' coach Sean Payton likes to "spread people out and formate
people to death".  Payton was the offensive co-ordinator for the
Giants in 2000, working under head coach...Jim Fassel.  The
back-formating apple doesn't fall far from the coaching tree.

LH, now suspecting that Salisbury's use of "formate" was borrowed
from Payton's own usage; I speculate that either Payton caught it
from Fassel or vice versa back then.  (Payton left the Giants after
Fassel demoted him and took over his play-calling responsibilities
during their Super Bowl run in 2000--presumably because his game
plans were poorly formated.)