Spears

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 15 00:53:04 UTC 2007

WRT "toadfrog" = both toad and frog." that may very well be true of
East-Texas BE, too. By sheer coincidence, in the wild I've seen only
toads, bullfrogs, and spring peepers. If, as a child, I'd ever seen an
ordinary frog, I don't know that I would or could  have distinguished
it from a toad.

There's a kind of mirror-image Mark Twain bit in which Tom tells Jim
that "Birds of a feather flock together." Jim refuses to accept it,
arguing out that bluebirds and blue jays are of a feather, but they
don't flock together.

-Wilson

On 1/14/07, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Spears
>
> I'm cheerfully reporting that in my own current (somewhat amalgamated) Southern dialect--and the dialect of others with whom I converse in North Georgia--pen(is)es are often referred to as "peckers" (not that I discuss them all that much!), poor white rural Southerners (a class that, by heritage, includes ME) are sometimes called "peckerwoods" (a more specific designation than "redneck," less derogatory than "white trash"), and toads and frogs colloquially coalesce into "toadfrogs."
>
> An individual could be called a "pecker" as an insult (like a "dick")--or maybe a "peckerhead" (again, like a "dickhead")--but I don't believe any "native speaker" would connect such an insult with the epithet "peckerwood."
>
> Many years ago in _American Speech_ someone (it may have been me) made a connection between "peckerwood" as a demographic term and "yokel," with its possible (and more remote) derivation from a dialect name for a kind of woodpecker.
>
> --Charlie

-----
-Sam'l Clemens