Wisconsin dialect

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Jan 15 20:10:15 UTC 2007

Scot,

You would be remiss not to get in touch with ADS members Joe Salmons
(Univ of WI Madison) and Erica Benson (U of Wis Eau Claire) who are
at work on projects which overlap considerably your intentions.
Please get in touch with them before you go on.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Wisconsin dialect
>
>Lately I've been toying with the idea of making a site devoted to
>documenting the Wisconsin English dialect, especially vocabulary but also
>some sound patterns. Maybe not especially groundbreaking, but fun to do and
>worth having. Anyway, I'm starting my research into Wisconisn English and
>wondering if anyone has any websites, articles, etc that they think would
>benefit me. If you know of any, please let me know. Gracias.
>Scot

>>From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has
>it all. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline1

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man [sic]
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. - Alfred
North Whitehead

There are many different religions in this world, but if you look at
them carefully, you'll see that they all have one thing in common:
They were invented by a giant, superintelligent slug named Dennis. -
Homer Simpson

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English