reliable name origins guide?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 16 04:43:11 UTC 2007

Why does his family member think that there's some connection between
these two names? Does s/he have evidence or is this just a WAG? How
and why does one re-anglicize a name that is already an anglicization
of a Hebrew name? Personally, if I wanted to know something like this,
I'd call the reference desk at the local library. Makke those
librarians earn their $40K/yr.

-Wilson

On 1/15/07, Nathan Bierma <nbierm65 at calvin.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Nathan Bierma <nbierm65 at CALVIN.EDU>
> Subject:      reliable name origins guide?
>
> There's no shortage of books and websites for baby names, but what's reliable?
>

> I got this question from a reader about a possible relation between the names
> 'Esther' and 'Theresa.' None of the baby-name books and sites I've checked
> suggest any connection, but I don't know what or whom to quote authoritatively.
> (Looks like OED has etymologies on a few of the most common names, but not
> these.)
>
> > I am doing genealogy.  Another member of my family thinks that
> Therese/Theresa, etc. is an anglicized version of Esther.  I have looked
> in the dictionary (my only reference book at home) and to me that does not
> appear
> >to be the case as they appear to have different roots. Could you and would
> you shed some light on this for me or direct me to a good basic source book?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Nathan
>

> Nathan Bierma
> "On Language"