"fairy," OED 4a

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 18 15:35:25 UTC 2007

Like "Man of La Mancha."

  JL

"Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mark A. Mandel"
Subject: Re: "fairy," OED 4a

Scot LaFaive wrote:

But by saying he is "of faerie," couldn't that also mean he was of the
faerie people or of the faerie, using faerie as a race or type of creature
and not a place name? I haven't read the original, I just found that to be
one possible reading based on this very small quote.
<<<

"Of X" was in use at that time with place names--

And Frenssh she spak ful faire and fetisly,
125 After the scole of Stratford-atte-Bowe,
For Frenssh of Parys was to hir unknowe.
-- Canterbury Tales, General Prologue (the Prioress)

also
St. Denis of France
-- Canterbury Tales, Shipman's Tale

As far as I know it was not used with racial names. Certainly anyone who
knows better can correct me.

m a m