"fairy," OED 4a

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jan 18 17:07:49 UTC 2007

The same possible ambiguity or confusion as to whether the "of" in Gower's phrase points to a place, a population, a substance, or a condition is paralleled in the first book of _The Faerie Queene_, where the comparable ambiguity is quite deliberate on Spenser's part (I'm sure).

The Red Cross Knight, a foundling, has assumed (like everyone else) that he is a fairy. In canto 10, however, it's revealed to him that he is human, destined to become St. George of merry England.  That is, he is a "man of earth," as the seer atop Mt. Contemplation informs him (playing on the name "George").  RCK hails from earth; he is of earthly kind; his body is compounded of earth; his quest is earthly (he must be warned against abandoning knightly deeds to adopt of spiritual life).

--Charlie