Words of the Year (Willie Pepping)

Thu Jan 18 18:31:11 UTC 2007

Still catching up with holiday postings:

Did any one answer Larry's question?
> Well, that would deprive the immortal Alphonse and Gaston from their
> rightful legacy.  Who were they, anyway?  A French vaudeville routine?

I believe that Alphonse and Gaston were a comic strip -- perhaps a
single-box cartoon.  I'm not sure whether it ran late enough for me to
remember, or whether the very hazy notion I have of it was learned from
my parents, who used the expression.

To Alphonse and Gaston would be different from Willie Pepping.  A & G
were hyper-polite, each deferring to the other: After you, my dear
Alphonse -- No, after you, Gaston.  This exchange could precede any
action -- going through a door, taking a sandwich from a platter.
Willie Pep -- I also have only very vague memories of him, probably from
newsreels, since I don't think he was still fighting when my parents got
their first TV -- was a very elusive boxer, who made himself hard to hit
by shifting from side to side; "bobbing and weaving" was my father's
phrase.  Willie Pepping would describe two people meeting in a corridor
and each shifting to the same side, so each continues to block the other.

I've never encountered the term other than in the post that set this
off.  If it was ever current I would expect it to be in the 1940s when
Pep was active.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.