"nation"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Jan 19 15:03:10 UTC 2007

Certainly true. However, that older sense of "nation" as a people with common interests or other characteristics (not just origins) got largely superseded by the application of the term to the post-medieval (and Western) concept of a nation-state.

At the very least, the current extended use of the term sort of trivializes it (perhaps, sometimes, in an intentionally jocular way).

--Charlie