deigned; lorded; incoming

Fri Jan 19 19:06:33 UTC 2007

Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> sez:

In tonight's Sci-Fi Channel take on Beowulf (_Grendel_ [Nick Lyon, 2007]),
Hrothgar says, "The gods have deigned that my land be cursed."  That means
"ordained."

  Earlier, Beowulf had referred to Hrothgar's "lorded" halls.  That means
"lordly."

  Later, as the Geats / gits / begin their bombardment of Grendel with balls
of flaming castor oil, a Geatish warrior shouts "Incoming !"  That means
"Outgoing !"

  Not that the movie was bad.  To start with, Hygelac gave Beowulf a
fully-automatic bazooka-crossbow with telescopic sight to help him fight
Grendel. Another good part was when Grendel's mother kidnapped Ingrid.

<<<

I'm still waiting for the data to support your conclusion...

How long till it shows up on MST3K?

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]