"fairy," OED 4a

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Jan 19 19:13:15 UTC 2007

A little more information: For the line in question, Caxton's 1483 publication of _Confessio Amantis_ gives "a fayrye" (fol. 132v)--like the OED.

In Macaulay's edition (still the "standard") it appears as "of faierie" (3:146). In at least two other places Macaulay's text has the phrase "of faierie." Some 49 mss. of _Confessio Amantis_ are extant.

--Charlie