deigned; lorded; incoming

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 19 20:15:10 UTC 2007

Mark, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but MST3K is defunct, extinct, gone to the laaaaaaast roundup.  In the final episode, Mike and the bots wound up living in a small apartment in Wisconsin.

  Perhaps they were watching _Beowulf_ at home this past Saturday.

  JL

"Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mark A. Mandel"
Subject: Re: deigned; lorded; incoming

Jonathan Lighter sez:

In tonight's Sci-Fi Channel take on Beowulf (_Grendel_ [Nick Lyon, 2007]),
Hrothgar says, "The gods have deigned that my land be cursed." That means
"ordained."

Earlier, Beowulf had referred to Hrothgar's "lorded" halls. That means
"lordly."

Later, as the Geats / gits / begin their bombardment of Grendel with balls
of flaming castor oil, a Geatish warrior shouts "Incoming !" That means
"Outgoing !"

Not that the movie was bad. To start with, Hygelac gave Beowulf a
fully-automatic bazooka-crossbow with telescopic sight to help him fight
Grendel. Another good part was when Grendel's mother kidnapped Ingrid.

<<<

I'm still waiting for the data to support your conclusion...

How long till it shows up on MST3K?

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]

Never miss an email again!