"If your mother says she loves you...."

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 21 15:34:32 UTC 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Clarence Page of the _Chicago Tribune_ on CNN's _Reliable Sources_ just now:
>
>  "I've got that Chicago skepticism: 'If your mother says she loves you,
> check it out.'"

A more elegant version appears in that boundless fount of wit and wisdom,
The Yale Book of Quotations:

Nobody loves me but my mother --
And she could be jivin', too.
        B. B. King, "Nobody Loves Me But My Mother" (1970)

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986