A new Child ballad

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 22 23:34:58 UTC 2007

This was obviously meant for another venue. My apologies.

  JL

Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Jonathan Lighter
Subject: A new Child ballad

I figured that would get your attention. But seriously - take a look at a song called "Hunt the Devil" here:

http://www.arrowsreach.com/aardvarkian/Aardvarkian-September2001.pdf

>From what I can see, the source is an Australian SCA group that found the song in a ms. of the late XXth century (or perhaps the first year of the XXIst) by compiler known to us only as "Eric of Tobermory."

"Hunt the Devil" is unmistakably late minstrel work, but its unknown author was clearly steeped in the supernatural folklore/ fakelore of the age, and especially in the fully traditional style of similar compositions of an earlier period. A few phrases betray the maker's relative sophistication

It is to be regretted that no melody for this sprightly little ballad has come down to us. Yet perhaps one may be forgiven for believing that it may still be heard in the Antipodes by some assiduous and fortunate collector.

JL

TV dinner still cooling?