Chimney (and "nation" and "community")

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 24 19:52:26 UTC 2007

WRT the BE course, I certainly agree with you, Charlie. The first time
that I heard black people from Chicago, New York, and Philadelphia
speak, their BE sounded so weird that I nearly couldn't understand
them, especially the Philadelphians. After I'd lived in Saint Louiis
for a while, the speech of my East-Texas relatives began to sound so
country that I had problems keeping a straight face. After I moved to
Los Angeles, I found that, though I had no problem understanding the
local BE, its speakers had problems with my Saint Louis dialect. E.g.,
the locals heard my "fade," a white person, and "shade," a black
person, as "fabe" and "shabe." Very strange. And, of course, there was
that Saint Louis horse = [hars] / hoarse = [hors] thing that they had
to deal with.

-Wilson

On 1/24/07, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Chimney (and "nation" and "community")
>
> Doug's phrasing--"the real-estate selling community, such as it is"--made me think:
>
> Somewhat analogous to the use of "nation" in its expanded sense (though without the frequent--and saving--lightheartedness) is the rampant current use of "community."  I wonder what kinds or degrees of commonality qualify a number of persons to be called a community?
>
> A few years ago in the English department to which I belong, the old "Black English" course was being revised. The individual who would be teaching the reformed course proposed naming it "English in the African American Community." I opined that "English in African American Communities" (or, more concisely, "African American English") would make more sense--that residents of Jamaica, Toronto, New Orleans, Harlem, Watts, Sapelo Island, and rural Alabama hardly constitute a single community. (As is usual in such debates, I lost!) I suppose calling an assortment of persons a community makes things seem sociable and harmonious . . . .
>
> --Charlie

-----
-Sam'l Clemens