"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep...discussing lunch" (Ben Franklin?)

Towse my.cache at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 24 20:26:28 UTC 2007

On 1/24/07, Bapopik at aol.com <Bapopik at aol.com> wrote:
> DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES--110,000 Google hits
> WELL-ARMED LAMB--92,300 Google hits
> WELL-ARMED SHEEP--19,400 Google hits
> Did Benjamin Franklin say this? It's not in the Yale Book of
> Quotations--maybe next time? Or does this come from the 1990s?

Various people have searched his writings for this aphorism and not found it.

"Lunch," for whatever it's worth, was not a common English word until the 19thc.

Nothing shows up with a search for  wolves/lamb/democracy in The
Making of America digital library of primary sources from the 19thc:
<http://www.hti.umich.edu/m/moagrp/>

One would think someone would've quoted it then, if the quote is still
around today.

--
Sal

Ye olde swarm of links: thousands of links for writers, researchers
and the terminally curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers>