"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep...discussing lunch" (Ben Franklin?)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Jan 24 21:01:59 UTC 2007

        The earliest I see is from the L.A. Times, 1/12/1992:
"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on
what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain
rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote. Those rights are
spelled out in the Bill of Rights and in our California Constitution.
Voters and politicians alike would do well to take a look at the rights
we each hold, which must never be chipped away by the whim of the
majority."

        James Bovard used it in the Washington Times on 8/29/1992,
antedating his use in his 1994 book:  "The USDA's concept of democracy
reminds one of the old joke: Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting
on what to have for dinner. Why should the government give some farmers
the power to vote to destroy other farmers' property rights?"

John Baker