copula deletion and BEV

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jan 25 13:52:38 UTC 2007

Early this morning I drove my wife to the Atlanta airport; approaching the terminal, I distinctly heard myself inquire (in WEV), "You taking Delta or AirTran?" Of course, in writing I wouldn't delete the copula in such a sentence, and the copula seems easier to delete in questions, and possibly in second-person constructions ("You gonna eat that?"). Still, I definitely deleted it!

--Charlie