on the excretory practices of American eagles

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 26 02:26:51 UTC 2007

DARE should have some various listings under "squeeze" I think. If I
remember you can squeeze dollars and pennies to make the eagles and Honest
Abe poop, scream, and piss. Probably other things as well.

Scot

>From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: on the excretory practices of American eagles
>Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:24:02 -0500

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>Subject:      on the excretory practices of American eagles
>
>Today, my wife reports, a rather obnoxious hard-sell woman in charge
>of the showroom at a kitchen installation place here in Hamden, CT
>tried to assure her that (despite all the high-end options they were
>pushing) their operation really *is* concerned about keeping costs
>within reason.  "We know how to give you the most bang for your
>buck", she promised. "We're gonna squeeze the eagle until it poops."
>This was a new one on my wife (who wasn't particularly taken with the
>metaphor) and a new one one me too, although I'm familiar with the
>couplet from "Nobody knows you when you're down and out", the classic
>Depression era song (by Yip Harburg?) recorded by everyone from
>Bessie Smith to Eric Clapton--
>
>"If I ever get my hands on a dollar again,
>I'm gonna squeeze it till the eagle grins".
>
>But is the pooping version extant outside this particular kitchen
>store?  And do those E Pluribus eagles engage in other activities
>when squeezed in other parts of the country?
>
>LH

Live.com page.
http://www.live.com/?addTemplate=ValentinesDay&ocid=T001MSN30A0701