Macquarie WOTY: muffin top

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Fri Jan 26 15:30:43 UTC 2007

Thanks to Ben and Stephen for the 2003-04 citations for 'muffin top'.  But
now I'm undone by my own reading comprehension failures.  On second glance,
they're not claiming that the word was coined in 2005 (just noting its ADS
WotY success in 2005).  So, the next question is when that Kath and Kim
episode was.  I'm working on it, but I'm undone again by the fact that I
can't subscribe to the Macquarie Dictionary on-line because they're using
an old security certificate on their site and my computer refuses to do
business with them.

Lynne

--On Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:28 pm +0000 Benjamin Zimmer
<bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU> wrote:

> On 1/25/07, Stephen Goranson <goranson at duke.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Lynne Murphy <m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK>:
>>
>> > Can anyone antedate their 2005 Kath & Kim claim?
>>
>> Courier Mail (Queensland, Australia)
>> July 28, 2004 Wednesday
> [...]
>> For an unfriendly fashion that can render even slim young girls
>> unsightly, with middles spilling over the top of tight jeans in what has
>> become known as the "muffin top" effect, it has proved to be alarmingly
>> enduring.
>
> Also cited in Grant Barrett's Double-Tongued entry:
> http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/dictionary/muffin_top/
>

> --Ben Zimmer

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer and Head of Department