Q: "by will and doom" (1672)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jan 26 21:46:48 UTC 2007

I don't know whether it might mean "freely or by compulsion.".  What
I infer is that, if the owner or consignee of the goods cannot
produce evidence of its value, or the valuation appears false, then
the collector may assign a value that he determines (in order to
collect duties).  (Of course, the litigious New Englander then was
likely to sue the collector if he thought the valuation was unreasonable!)

But my question is more -- is this something that ought to be in the
OED?  Can "we" find more than just the handful of cites that Google
turns up -- perhaps in legal works of the 17th-18th century?  Such as
Admiralty Court records, when the litigious New Englander did sue the
Collector?

Joel