favorited?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 28 20:38:57 UTC 2007

At 2:06 PM -0500 1/28/07, Charles Doyle wrote:
>I recently got an email from "FaceBook," with the information that
>somebody had "friended" me.  Last night on "Law & Order, CI" (a
>rerun, I believe) the police had to "street" (i.e., 'set free') a
>suspect because of insufficient evidence of criminality.
>
>It goes on . . . .
>
>--Charlie

Yes, "friend" as a verb, sponsored by facebook.com, is definitely in
the permanent lexicon, at least temporarily.  It started popping up
in my students' New Word Journals 3 years ago, and now they now it's
already too established to slip by me. (Nice example, because it's
clearly different from the established "befriend".) "Favorite" and
"street" as verbs are certainly fresher.

LH