Pentagon declares foreign language a weapon. O.K., maggots, drop and give me 50 conjugations.

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Tue Jan 30 19:34:38 UTC 2007

There's a new post on
Web of Language:

"The Pentagon is seeking Congressional approval to develop its latest
secret weapon, foreign languages.  Deputy Under Secretary of Defense
Michael Dominguez testified before a Senate Homeland Security
subcommittee last week that language is now “a critical war-fighting
skill.”  ... Today our foes have learned to blend in with local
populations, speaking the local lingo and blowing up the local
marketplace....To confront them the army's new “Defense Language
Transformation Roadmap” creates a cadre of “Senior Language
Authorities,” soldiers ... to translate enemy emails from Farsi,
monitor cell phone conversations in Southern Kurdish, and infiltrate
North Korean espresso bars. ...The last language weapon that the army
is developing ... is the civilian Language Corps.  This linguistic
ready reserve will be mobilized “during times of national need or
emergency” and flown to hot spots around the world, where they will
translate the confessions of captured insurgents, explain to local
populations that we come as liberators, and reinforce the linguistic
weaponry of American troops through dictations and pop quizzes."

Read it all on

the Web of Language

Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics