FW: katzenjammer: M-W's Word of the Day

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Jan 31 13:32:40 UTC 2007

I agree with Chris. In all my German classes I had heard it going
back conceptually & etymologically to "cat" -- imagine hissing,
snarling, that deep meow of males, etc. While Grimm's is dated, I
think that's the ety in Kluge (did I get the name right?) as well. My
copy of Wahrig doesn't give an ety, but it defines Katzenjammer as
"schlechte Stimmung als Nachwirkung eines Rausches; <auch>
Gewissenequal, Reue" note that the genus term of the def is
"Stimmung." Also, as Chris said, I don't think an infinitive makes
sense in the compound. Finally, and the weakest argument, I have
personal confidence in MW's etymological research, and I think that
if the Kotzen- origin were valid/recognized/accepted, it would have
been mentioned.

---Amy West