honcho > honchas

Michael T. Wescoat mtwescoat at UCDAVIS.EDU
Wed Jan 31 18:42:07 UTC 2007

Amy,

Thank you for your question:

> Can we understand folk etymology as yet another instance of the
> constant reanalysis of the language that speakers perform on the
> language?

I think the answer is yes.  Furthermore, the _honchas_ case is
interesting because the reanalysis of _honcho_ as a Spanish loan word
facilitated the creation of a new English word _honcha_, which would
not have arisen in the absence of this folk etymology.  In other
words, folk etymology is influencing language change.

Michael T. Wescoat