Call for Papers: ADS Annual Meeting 2008

Allan A Metcalf aallan at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 31 23:42:18 UTC 2007

ADS members, it's our pleasure to present the call for our next meeting, in (brrr) Chicago. - Allan Metcalf

Call for papers: ADS Annual Meeting 2008, Chicago
>From Thursday, January 3, 2008, through Saturday, January 5, ADS will hold its next annual meeting at the Chicago Hilton, hosted as usual by the Linguistic Society of America.
Monday, August 13 is the deadline for proposals for 20-minute presentations. All you need is a title and an abstract of 150 to 300 words. Send it via e-mail to Executive Secretary Allan Metcalf at americandialect at mac.edu. If you need to use the postal service instead of e-mail, send the abstract, with your name on an accompanying letter but not on the abstract, to Allan Metcalf, English Dept., MacMurray College, Jacksonville Illinois 62650-2590.
Presenters must be current members of the American Dialect Society.
Audio-visual equipment: An LCD projector, as well as an overhead projector, will be available for all presentations. If you will need other equipment such as a tape player or CD player, please say so when you send your proposal.
Scheduling: If you have a preference for day or time of your presentation, please indicate that too. We cannot guarantee the time you prefer, but the program committee will try to accommodate you. The meeting will follow our customary schedule:
Thursday, January 3: Executive Council and annual business meeting in the afternoon. Program session in late afternoon, followed by Words of the Year nominations.
Friday, January 4: Programs sessions in morning and afternoon. Words of the Year vote and Bring-Your-Own-Book reception in the early evening.
Saturday, January 7: Program sessions in morning and afternoon; Annual Luncheon in between..
Proposals will be judged anonymously by a committee chaired by Connie Eble, ADS president-elect. If your proposal is accepted, you’ll be asked for an abstract of no more than 200 words for the LSA program.
Session chairs: If you’re interested in chairing a session, let the Executive Secretary know at americandialect at mac.edu. Tell him any preference you have for time or topic.
Special sessions: If you’re interested in proposing an entire session rather than an individual paper, don’t wait till August. Get in touch with the program chair now at cceble at email.unc.edu.
Teaching panel: Once again the ADS Committee on Teaching will sponsor a panel at the annual meeting. If you would like to propose a 20-minute talk, send your proposal directly to the chair of the Committee on Teaching, Anne Curzan, at acurzan at umich.edu or English Dept., 3187 Angell Hall, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1003. Her deadline is also August 13.
Specially for students: Four travel grants of $500 each will be awarded to students whose papers have been chosen for the program. All students who are members of ADS are invited to attend the Annual Luncheon for free.
Hotel and registration: ADS members will be eligible to reserve rooms and register for the meeting at LSA member rates. For details see the website www.lsadc.org.
Future LSA-ADS meeting: 2009 January 8–10 Portland Hilton.