FW: eighty-six or 86; short-order cookery language

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jul 1 15:29:23 UTC 2007

At 9:35 AM -0500 7/1/07, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:
>I'm presently away from my reference books, but IIRC there's an
>explanation given in an American Speech article which derives this
>86 from the number of stories in the Empire State building. I know
>the number of stories is now considered to be 102, but somehow it
>was once considered to be 86. (Maybe the very top of the building
>has something to do with the discrepancy.)

The open observation deck was on the 86th floor (still is, for all I
know), so effectively that was the top for purposes of viewing the
city at one's leisure, for looking through those binocular machines
that one put a nickel into (or was it a dime?  memory fails), and
from which one pondered whether it was really possible to kill
someone by dropping a penny on their head.  (Young whippersnappers we
were.)  We all knew there were 102 stories, but the 86th floor was
the relevant top for most purposes.

I have no idea whether this relates at all to the restaurant code.

LH