For words ending in "t".

David Borowitz borowitz at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Jul 2 20:59:41 UTC 2007

On 7/2/07, Tom Zurinskas <truespel at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I assume most words ending in the letter "t" have the "t" glottalized.

Well, "most" and "adept," the first two in your email, certainly don't for
me. IMO it's pretty context-dependent. I tend to flap final t's
intervocalically ("my hat is brown"), but I'd guess there's some variance
there. If the final t is before an s, I get something like "i?#tsays" for
"it says," where ? is a glottal stop and # is a syllable boundary. It also
depends on stress. I have a feeling the phonology is in fact far more
complicated than a simple glottalized/non-glottalized dichotomy, but I
haven't actually done any research here.

I think dictionaries should recognize this especially for folks not adept in

--
It is better to be quotable than to be honest.
    -Tom Stoppard

Borowitz