"Generals are always fighting the last war"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 2 22:21:28 UTC 2007

Google Books has this snippet which it claims comes from _The Canadian Forum_ Vol. 67(No. 768), April, 1987, p. 67.  If  you believe that, buy my bridge:

  "_Why the Blitzkrieg Works_ THE INEVITABLE American remarked a little while ago that the Germans were preparing for this war, the French were preparing for the last war. "

  My guess, of course, is that it was really written in 1940.

  Anyway, there's this:

  1948 Winston S. Churchill _The Second World War_ I (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1985) 426: It is a joke in Britain to say that the War Office is always preparing for the
last war.

  JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: "Generals are always fighting the last war"

Someone has asked me for the origin of the saying "Generals are always
fighting the last war." I have something similar to this in The Yale Book
of Quotations from Barbara Tuchman (1962), but I imagine it predates her.
Any ideas or evidence as to early usages or origin?

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press
Yale Law School ISBN 0300107986
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com